Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ommegang Zuur. Sweet and sour with out the sweet

Ommegang ZUUR.  Wow.  A sour ale.  If I hadn't known in advance I probably would have choked.

The head was a tan color.  Head lasted to the bottom of the glass.  Ale was a medium to dark brown color.  Aroma was malty with a hint of a sour smell to it.  Not a lot of hop in the aroma or flavor for that matter.
The taste was like a sweet tart with out the sweet.  Very interesting and for my first sour ale I will say that it is a flavor that grows on you during the experience.  I can honestly say that I liked it.  Not something that I would drink all the time (especially not at $12 per 750ml bottle).  I also think 750ml is a little much for one person at a setting.  The taste reminded me of a Lambic style ale.  Reminiscent of a Lindemans Framboise without the fruit.  I give it am 8 out of 10.  Ommegang doesn't disappoint.  Great beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment