Monday, February 28, 2011

New beer store/bar

So last weekend my wife and I went out shopping.  We went to Boardman Ohio because she wanted to go to Dillards and for some odd reason there is no Dillards in Pennsylvania.  She wanted to make some beer bread and I have convinced her that there is no beer better for beer bread than Young's Double Chocolate Stout. (of course since then she used up all my Young's for beer bread)  She wanted to see if we could pick some up and because in PA the state (IMHO in violation of the three tier law) distributes and retails beer by the case at the "state store." Where a case of Young's in the cans costs about $65 on a good day and up to $90.  But in good ole Ohio beer nirvana exists at Vintage Estates.  We entered the store and found literally thousands of individually wrapped bottles of barley goodness.  They also sell wine and the place doubles as a bar as well.  I picked up the can of Young's that we were after and a bottle of Dogfish Head Red &White which was awesome.  The beer was a Belgian Wit with Pinot Noir juice mixed in.  I also picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head My Antonia which was an Imperial Pilsner that was continually hopped.  It was ok but I am not a huge pilsner fan.  Needless to say if you within driving distance of Boardman, OH you should stop by Vintage Estates.  great beer by the bottle.

2 comments:

  1. We make beer bread with 3 cups self rising flour, a bottle of beer and 3 T. of sugar. Do you use anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On allrecipes.com there's a great beer bread roll recipe, using yeast. I liked it, but the beer needs to be good and strong to stand up to the yeast in the bread.

    Awesome post!!

    ReplyDelete