Thursday, February 3, 2011

Need some new equipment

During the massisve brew weekend in November I wore out my mashtun.  A mashtun is the vessel where the grain soaks in hot water to convert the starches in the grain into fermentable sugars.  There is some sort of a filter in the bottom to strain out the wort (sugary water from the grain) and leave the grain behind.  My old mashtun was a rectangular cooler with a stainless mesh tube I removed from a hose for a washing machine (the outer stainless braid covering the rubber hose).  I had removed the drain valve from the cooler and inserted a new ball valve I picked up at Lowes.  The stainless mesh was hose clamped to the valve on the inside of the cooler.  The problem was over time the seal wore out and wort was leaking out to the floor. (the wife did not like this)  For my new mashtun I am going to buy a large round cooler, most likely one of the big orange igloo coolers and do the same type of set up.  When I make the new mash tun I will post some pics so those interested can see how to make their own for much less than purchasing one.

No comments:

Post a Comment