Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recent beer tastings.

Recently found that the Giant Eagle Marketplace down in Robinson Township sells beer by the bottle. (limited amounts but great selection).  This is as far as I can tell the only place around here to buy Dogfish Head.  (http://www.dogfish.com/ )I tried the Raison D' Etre again and again.  Very good Belgian brown ale brewed with raisins and beet sugar. (sounds odd but tastes pretty good).  Also tried the Chateau Jiahu.  very good as well.  Other Dogfish Head varieties I tried were the Chicory Stout and World Wide Stout. Both were very good but the Raison was my favorite.    Also I found my favorite beer to date.  To my shock I found a chocolate stout that I like better than Young's.  The Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence is a Belgian style Chocolate Stout that is a seaonal specialty ale.  (only comes out at the end of the year and well worth the wait and $12 price tag per bottle).  Amazing is the only word that comes to mine.


I tasted two of my own.  The Cobbler Lager turned out pretty ok.  Not great.  The apple, pear, and cinnamon gave the light lager a cidery type taste and the beer itself was very clean and crisp tasting.  The oatmeal stout was significantly lacking in mouth feel. (very watery) but it did taste good.  I am pretty sure my mash was too hot which resulted in the thin watery results.  Going to try the other ones soon but I have another Ommegang I am going to un cork tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment